Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Post 2013 Orchid Show

The 2013 Orchid Show, produced by the Central Ontario Orchid Society, was held the last weekend of September at the Cambridge Hespeler Arena.  Linda and I attended on the Sunday afternoon and enjoyed the beauty of orchid flowers grown and presented by dedicated orchid experts.
I do not have the time nor interest to devote to take on orchid care as a serious hobby; but I am thankful for those who do and make the effort to present their best for my enjoyment. Every year when I attend this show, I learn something new and that was the case again this time.


Each year I make a point to buy a different variety of orchid from the growers/vendors. I want to learn. This year my fancy was piqued by the Vanda variety. I bought a Vanda 'Robert's Delight' Blue/Black. This first picture shows the orchid I bought. The orchid roots are entwined into a plastic support pot. Back at my shop, I mounted the pot to a wicker tray, as shown in the second photo. This will allow me to support the plant without attaching wires to the plant itself. I secured a wire to the top of the wicker tray and I will suspend the plant amongst some hanging tropical plants in my shop showroom. The Vanda orchid will need daily misting, complete root soak every three days or so, bright light and ambient temperatures that are comfortable to me. It will be fed with a low nitrogen plant food.
With all of these conditions met and a whole lot of luck, I will be rewarded with large blue/black blooms as shown in the third picture.
You can follow along with my success (or failures) as I'll post progress periodically on this blog. Send along your comments and suggestions. If you are in the area, feel welcomed to drop into my shop and see the progress for yourself (Plants For All, 66 Dawson Road, Guelph, Ontario).

Something New (to me) - We also bought an orchid that is primarily grown for it's foliage. Sarcoglottis sceptrodes (Jewel Orchid).  While it does flower, the attention is given to the patterns on its leaves. This orchid is potted into a soil-like potting medium.  I'll post more on this interesting plant complete with pictures at a later time.

When Linda Speaks - Linda gave a talk Tuesday of this week at the Guelph Salvation Army Heart and Home and Home meeting. A good crowd attended and a lot of information was shared. Linda took lots of samples with plants and products and a good time was had by all.  Linda will be speaking again on November 12 to this same group about Norfolk Island Pines, just ahead of Christmas. You may want to plan to attend.
FYI - Linda and I are both available for a limited number of speaking engagements to interested groups.

I have posted lots of beautiful orchid pictures that I took at this year's COOS orchid show. Check them out at our web site.
I will appreciate your comments and any feedback.

Happy growing
Brian Osmond

No comments:

Post a Comment